It is key to learn how to fill out the FAFSA, Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Due during your senior year, this will help you understand how much aid you are eligible to receive for school, and how much you will need.
Nearly every student is eligible for some form of financial aid, including low-interest Federal Stafford and/or parent PLUS loans, regardless of income or circumstances, provided that you:
- Are a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national or an eligible non-citizen;
- Have a valid Social Security Number;
- Have a high school diploma or GED;
- Here registered with the U.S. Selective Service (if you are a male aged 18-25);
- Complete a FAFSA promising to use any federal aid for educational purposes;
- Do not owe refunds on any federal student grants;
- Are not in default on any student loans; and
- Have not been found guilty of the sale or possession of illegal drugs during a period in which federal aid was being received.